Sunday, November 29, 2009

Phabulous gift idea for the Reader

Crafting a Christmas list can be a tricky task. Of course it can be easy to scribble down all your material dreams in hopes St. Nick thought you were especially good this year, but if you're like me, you know the value in research and Christmas practicality.

One gadget that has caught my eye - and millions of others' - is the Amazon Kindle electronic reader. I love to read and the idea of thousands of titles at my finger tips definitely excites me, but with a $260+ price tag, I know it is an unrealistic wish.



However, with a little research, I found that the Kindle comes with certain features that not only are unnecessary for my use, but runs up the cost. For some, the ability to take notes and highlight certain sections can be helpful, as well as the wireless feature allowing you to download new books on the go. For me, the thrill is simply having a whole library available to me for joy reading.



So here I present to you Sony's version of the Kindle, the Digital Reader Pocket Edition. It costs about $100 less than the Kindle, mostly because of its more limited use (no note taking, and stores up to 350 books vs the latter's 1,500) and the requirement of uploading texts from your computer rather than having a wi-fi connection. Also, being the pocket edition the unit is a bit smaller, 1" x 4" x 6" compared to the Kindle's .35" x 5.3" x 8", so it might be more difficult for some to read. Personally, I do not see these as burdens, I will just be sure to prepare myself with several titles before enduring a long trip away from my computer (not likely). Besides, Sony totally makes up for the lack of bells and whistles by making it in PINK. Phabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment