Saturday, August 21, 2010

Cabbage Soup Series: Day Seven and Beyond

Day Seven: Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juices and vegetables: Again, stuff, stuff, stuff yourself. Be sure to ear your soup at least once this day.

And on the seventh day, Stephanie gave up. No, that's a lie, but as I dragged my feet into the kitchen, sifted through the Kraft Mac n' Cheese and Bertinelli's tortellini for brown rice, there was nothing more I wanted to do. One. More. Day. 24 hours til culinary freedom. But until then: Brown rice.

Well, I don't know what happened to "diminishing cravings" but I was really in the mood for something sweet. A stir-fry with veggies would be the obvious choice for an easy rice meal, but two days of nothing but meat and veggies, I could use the change of pace. At this point I felt like I had exhausted all my will-power and threw the suggestion of unsweetened juices out the door. I was makin' me some porridge.

Still going with the previous nights "creative" theme (that or just not giving a crap anymore what I was making or if it even tasted remotely good), I experimented with a few different ingredients, included natural sweetener Agave Honey, berries, cinnamon and raisins. I tried to overcook the rice a bit to achieve a more porridge-like texture, but what really resulted was a slightly mushy, vibrantly purple rice. Something was missing...so far I don't think Goldie Locks would approve of my concoction.

To add to the texture and over all flavor, I crushed some almonds and created a sort of crust by mixing the nuts with honey. It gave my porridge a satisfying crunch, but it only took me half the bowl to realize what I was eating was in fact very disgusting and I wasn't fooling anyone by telling myself otherwise. I supposed health nuts that are used to just granola and enjoying things like running may enjoy this dish, but as the end of the week approached, I was in no mood to pretend I was one of those people.



But I did it. Seven days of no junk food, no ice cream, no Campbell's Chunky Soup, no chicken pot pies. One week of strict eating, and other than my one or two little (really little, like hardly worth mentioning little) slip ups, I felt really accomplished. Final results: 6.0 lbs. So I didn't loose any inches, not even a dress size, but I gained a sense of self empowerment. How long will this last...

**UPDATE**
9/21/10
Well its been one month since my Cabbage Soup diet and I really do think it has changed my eating patterns. I crave smaller portions and less often do I opted for the fried foods. I kept the weight off, though I still fluctuate several pounds on any given day. I'll say it again and again, crash diets are not healthy, practical ways to lose weight, but this particular one could be a great way to jump start a more healthy way of living. With this new found will power, maybe I will try the Master Cleanse next....

Oh, and just in case you were wondering what my first meal off the diet was....

No comments:

Post a Comment